How to Work with AJAX and Its Specific Features
AJAX is an approach to user web interface development which involves a background exchange of data between the web browser and server resources. With asynchronous refresh of web page data, the entire page content doesn’t need to be reloaded. This allows the web resources to work more smoothly and conveniently. This is also a good way to minimize traffic usage, which is important with a limited internet access.
However, when a website uses AJAX, users notice a partial change in the pages. That’s why developers need to consider implementing an indication of such changes. Users need to recognize that background data exchange with the server is in progress at a given moment.
That’s why developers often recommend to look for more flexible technology alternatives and other methods of data display for your web resource.
Main Pros and Cons of Using AJAX
AJAX is not always recommended in development. In specific cases this technology has its advantages, but sometimes it can negatively affect the performance of your web resource.
Main benefits of this approach include:
- less traffic — due to partial reload of resources, the entire page doesn’t need to be refreshed;
- less load for the server – this technology allows not to use as many database queries;
- fast work of web pages – the response to user actions is more dynamic;
- improved functioning of the web resource.
On the other hand, using AJAX can lead to significant disadvantages.
There are following important minuses of using AJAX for your website:
- security is not guaranteed – all program script code is available to view in the browsers and can be used by attackers;
- browsing history doesn’t work, which is bad for tracking stats and analyzing user behavior;
- problems with indexation – search engine robots sometimes have trouble crawling pages that use AJAX. In some cases such pages aren’t indexed at all.
Having taken into account the above-mentioned pros and cons to this web development approach, you are free to decide whether to use AJAX for your project or go with a more suitable alternative.
And in case you are not an expert in the world of digital technologies, you can always consult our experienced professionals. We will help you choose the best solutions which will improve the performance of your website.
Now that you are familiar with all AJAX pluses and minuses, you can decide whether to use this technology for your website or not. Feel free to connect with us! :)