Yii is a web development framework based on the MVC model, which is used to create modern web-sites. Its name stands for «Yes It Is!» and is pronounced as [ji:].
Yii system written in PHP is a universal environment for any kinds of web apps and interfaces. Here you can create a highly functional website of any level of complexity.
Ways to Use Yii
Yii Framework can be used to develop:
- large portals;
- easy-to-use forums;
- functional online stores;
- content management systems (CMS).
Yii allows you to use pre-made templates to implement all kinds of design solutions.
Yii’s history can be traced back to January 1, 2008. It was originally created as a tool to fix the drawbacks of the PRADO framework, which attempted to make ASP.NET accessible on PHP. However, PRADO developers have simply copied snippets of ASP.NET code, which resulted in a number of shortcomings (slow page processing, complicated settings etc.). Soon one of the developers Quiang Xue realized that the code needs to be re-written. As a result, Yii 1.0 officially launched on December 3.
Yii is one of the most efficient PHP frameworks.
Its basic functions include:
- ActiveRecord and DAO modules to connect databases.
- Model-View-Controller design pattern.
- A set of design themes that can be easily changed.
- Error handling and logging.
- Modules to support page caching and other blocks.
- Support and validation of various forms.
- External library integration.
- Authorization modules (RBAC ACL).
Yii 2.0 supports Bootstrap and REST architecture. The framework is compatible with AJAX and allows to use jQuery. In addition, Yii package supplies a variety of user extensions, including the zii library.
Yii vs Other Frameworks
Yii demonstrated the best level of performance in phpmark open tests. Framework testing shows that the platform has a high-quality delayed initialization system. This means that the code is loaded only when necessary. This raises a lot of questions regarding testing in actual real-time conditions.
The research shows that:
- Yii is continuously improving.
- Users can fairly quickly learn to use the platform, as opposed to Zend Framework and Symfony.
- Yii is a stable and safe programming environment.
- includes detailed documentation which helps to eliminate roadblocks;
- the system is highly flexible;
- the websites load fast and look stylish;
- includes a separate class for data validation;
- has an efficient caching system for fast page handling;
- allows to create AJAX elements, as well as jQuery library integration;
- contains a set of built-in templates for a variety of design solutions;
- supports multilingual websites;
- ensures high security.
Astwellsoft experts have extensive experience in Yii development. We will help you create high-quality programming solutions using this platform.